Coupiac, population 350, is a medieval village dominated by its powerful castle built over three centuries, 14th to 16th.
When did it all started?
There is evidence of life in Coupiac about 50,000 years before paleolithic times. A high density of megalithic graves, and statue-menhirs has been found in or around Coupiac.
Around 1000 before J.C., Celts coming from central Europe gradually invaded the south of Massif Central. Generations after, after mixing up with locals, they became known as Ruthènes, Gallic people next to be invaded by Romans in 121 before J.C.
Coupiac became then a Roman dominion, lasting until 5th century A.D.
What's in the name "Coupiac"?
The gallo-roman (Coupiac) master built a large house and nearby properties, close to the cliff, but in a dominant position. The name of the owner, but more likely his nickname is at the origin of "Coupiac". It is believed his nickname was "Cupidus" (greedy). Adding in Latin the suffix "ac" or "acum" gives a sense of property, the location name "Cupidiacum" is believed to be the original one, then "Copiacum". When Occitan language became local language, "Copiacum" was transformed in "Copiac", later on "Coupiac", in French.
The first Coupiac castle.
Not a lot is known about this castle. There's no trace of the original Lord builder; except the castle was built over the 9th (IX) century. From the 10th (X) century up to 1238, the castle was owned by the Comtes de Rodez, as well as other castles like Peyrebrune, Thouels and Castor.